A Guide to Femto LASIK Surgery
Being unable to experience adventures due to high eye power may make life dull. For those who wish to see and live life like never before. Femto LASIK is widely known for its liberating effects on people’s lives. The freedom from the inconvenience of specs is a big relief, and nowadays more and more people are gaining interest in Femto LASIK surgery. Further in the blog, we have put forth various aspects that you must know about Femto laser eye surgery, procedure details, eligibility, pros and cons, and more.
The procedure of Femto LASIK surgery
Before beginning the Femto laser treatment for the eye, the eye doctor may ask you to lie on your back and the laser system is kept above your eyes. You also receive numbing eye drops to ensure that there is no hint of pain and major discomfort during the refractive procedure. The eyelids are kept open during the Femto LASIK eye surgery by an eye speculum. Further, the doctor places a suction ring over the pupil and makes use of a glass lens to hold the eye steady and make the cornea flat as per the requirement.
After carefully fixating the laser machine on the surgical area of the eye, the surgeon fires the first laser and creates a corneal flap and then releases the suction. Then, the highly focused excimer laser is used to reshape the corneal surface. During this, you may feel some pressure on the eye and a burning smell as well. Once the cornea is completely reshaped, the eye surgeon
places back the flap to its original position. The flap heals on its own without the need for stitches. The entire procedure of Femto LASIK takes 15-20 minutes for each eye. Also, it is crucial to have someone to take you back home following the Femto eye surgery.
Advantages of Femto LASIK Surgery
- Lower risks of abrasions during the laser eye procedure
- Very low chances of astigmatism as a result of surgical error
- It is easier to predict the thickness of the corneal flap to be created
- Femto LASIK surgery allows the surgeon to make thin and correct corneal flaps
- The edges of the corneal flap stick back more easily post-surgery, which diminish the possibility of corneal surface disruption and prolonged healing time
- It is easier for the eye surgeon to devise different options of size, shape, and adjustment for customized surgery results
- It is relatively easy to perform Femto LASIK surgery on a cornea with abnormal curvature (keratoconus), thereby minimizing the risk of cuts or nicks in the outer part of the eye (anterior eye). Treating keratoconus becomes difficult through standard microkeratomes and carries the chances of complications like macular holes, etc.
Disadvantages of Femto LASIK Surgery
- The Femto eye surgery takes more time to complete in comparison to traditional or standard LASIK. To make a precise corneal flap, it usually takes 15-20 seconds in femtosecond LASIK eye surgery whereas it takes only 3 seconds for a traditional microkeratome.
- The Femto LASIK procedure carries minor chances of corneal edema (swelling due to fluid collection in the cornea). Though chances are almost nil, if the condition arises, the recovery is delayed.
- Other minor side effects or disadvantages of Femto Lasik surgery include coloured halos around lights, decreased effectiveness with time, and dependency on spectacles over the years.
Who is eligible for Femto LASIK surgery?
Individuals who have mild to moderate myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness), astigmatism (abnormal bulging of the cornea) and normal corneal thickness are eligible candidates for Femto LASIK. A comprehensive eye examination is necessary to determine if you’re a good candidate for the Femto LASIK procedure or any other refractive procedure.
Femto LASIK is not advised in the following eye conditions:
Some certain conditions or diseases make an individual more prone to risks and complications. Such health or eye problems where doctors ask the patient to avoid refractive surgery include:
- Dry eyes
- Blepharitis (inflammation of the eyelids)
- Ocular hypertension (high intraocular pressure
- Keratoconus (outward bulging of the cornea into a cone shape)
- Iritis (swelling and inflammation in the iris)
- Herpes simplex and herpes zoster
- Uveitis (inflammation inside the eyes)
Cost of Femto LASIK surgery
The estimated cost of Femto LASIK depends upon several factors like the city (tier 1, 2, or 3), choice of eye care provider, patient’s eye health and related conditions, eye surgeon’s fee, post-operative expenses, etc. To know the exact cost of the Femto LASIK procedure, get in touch with an eye specialist and go through the screening tests. Also, note that the cost may go higher if you are suitable for advanced refractive procedures like SMILE and Contoura Vision.
Talk to an eye expert by choosing Planet Lasik by Centre For Sight
By now it is clear that Femto LASIK is generally a safe procedure which offers great vision after complete recovery, and thus freedom from glasses. It is widely preferred for its liberating effects. However, bear in mind that in matters of eyes, only trust experienced eye care specialists. To know more about Femto laser eye treatment, book a consultation with our refractive surgeon, and visit https://www.planetlasik.com/