How effective is SMILE?
We know that a ‘smile’ can immediately make our day better. Though here we are talking about a refractive or spectacle removal procedure named ReLEx SMILE. SMILE eye surgery is one of the latest eye surgeries, which stands for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction. This medically approved advanced SMILE eye surgery is used to correct refractive errors like myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness), presbyopia (age-related farsightedness), and astigmatism. It is quite effective in its purpose and has helped several patients with refractive errors.
The quality of your vision depends upon the cornea and the lens to focus the image of the objects in front of you onto the retina. This process involves the bending of light rays to form a sharp image on the retina within the eye. Changes in corneal shape may make the image blurred, affecting the quality of vision.
SMILE eye surgery aims at altering the corneal curvature. The procedure stabilizes the refraction procedure, making the vision clear and sharp again. Also, once you undergo SMILE, the dependency on eyeglasses reduces greatly. As compared to standard LASIK (laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis), SMILE is a relatively new procedure and an effective alternative to LASIK which should only be performed by a skilled eye surgeon. Without a doubt, you get to experience a better quality of life after SMILE eye surgery.
Advantages of SMILE laser eye surgery
- It is a minimally invasive procedure which involves smaller incisions of only 2-3 mm. Only a few corneal nerves get disturbed during eye surgery. Hence it is relatively easier to maintain corneal stability.
- There is no need to create a corneal flap and thus chances of complications like dry eyes, etc. are very low
- Faster recovery; most patients experience enhanced vision within a few hours following the surgery
- Quick procedure which completes within 15 minutes for each eye
Let’s gain a detailed insight into the SMILE eye procedure
Before undergoing the procedure, the eye doctor recommends a series of eye checkups. A thorough eye examination helps in ensuring that you’re eligible for SMILE surgery. This evolved refractive
procedure is performed on an outpatient basis, i.e. no need for an overnight hospital stay. The entire procedure takes much less than an hour and both eyes are treated in one visit only. The patient is given numbing eye drops or local anesthesia. The doctor uses a femtosecond laser to make a minor lens-like cut in the cornea. The lenticule is extracted through that minor incision only. The SMILE procedure reshapes the cornea and thus eliminates the refractive error.
Though the procedure is safe and effective with a success rate of more than 95%, it carries the chance of minor side effects. SMILE surgery benefits overpower its minor risks. The side effects of SMILE eye surgery are:
- Mild eye discomfort once the anesthesia wears off
- Redness and tearing of eyes
- Grittiness in the eyes lasting for 6-12 hours following the procedure
- Chances of overcorrection or under correction if the surgery is not performed carefully. In such a scenario, you may have to continue with some dependency on spectacles or contacts.
- Minor corneal abrasions at the site of the incision which heals within a short time without causing long-term vision problems
What’s crucial to remember is that there are no major or serious side effects or risks of SMILE eye surgery. Making the right choice and being proactive can save your eyes from the troubles. Also, SMILE eye surgery costs can vary with each eye care provider. Make sure to pick the best-suited for you.
Choose the right eye care specialist to get the best results from refractive procedures
By now, it must have become clear that SMILE surgery is highly effective in eligible candidates. When it comes to eye care, you should only trust a reliable name. Get in touch with Planet LASIK by Centre For Sight to know if your eligibility for ReLEx SMILE surgery. To book an appointment, visit https://www.planetlasik.com/