Eye Care During Pollution – Dos and Don’ts
Each year, Air Pollution levels are constantly rising, especially in metropolitan and urban areas. And let us face it, such alarmingly high levels of hazardous pollutants in the air not only impacts the vital organs in our body but also affects our eyes.
The Eyes are one of the most delicate parts of your body. And exposure to air containing a dangerous amount of toxins such as nitrogen dioxide, nitric oxide, sulfur, etc., could cause issues like redness of the eyes, blurry vision, watery eyes, dry eyes, allergies, and more.
As you step out of your house, immediate contact with polluted air could cause temporary irritation in your eyes. Although the tears in your eyes help clear off the chemicals, prolonged exposure to polluted air could lead to deteriorating vision and eye health in general.
With a thick blanket of polluted air engulfing our cities, it has become more important than ever to take care of our eyes, especially with the onset of winter.
How to protect Eyes from Air Pollution
As the amount of air pollution increases, it becomes inevitable to protect your eyes from its exposure completely. However, with these simple dos and don’ts, one can minimize the effect of air pollution on human eyes.
- Protect your Eyes when outdoors: When you step outside your home, how do you protect your eyes from dust or pollution? Simple, carry a pair of sunglasses. Your glasses will not only protect you from exposure to harmful chemicals but also shield your eyes from UV rays.
- Avoid stepping out early in the morning in winter without protecting your eyes. This is the time when the pollution level is at its peak.
- Avoid visiting areas with very high pollution levels, such as heavily industrialized areas.
Home remedies for eye irritation
If you face irritation in your eyes, you should try out some home remedies for eye irritation. Here are some tips that will come in handy:
- Do not rub your eyes carelessly.
- Clean your eyes by gently rinsing them with clean water.
- If you face inflammation in your eyes, cool it off with a cool compress.
Eye Care at Home
- You should regularly care for your eyes and prepare them to fight off adverse conditions that could cause eye irritation or more air pollution. Here are some remedies that should keep your eyes healthy.
- Drink a healthy dose of water every day. Water will not only keep your body healthy but is also good for your eyes.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet. Try to include as many greens and vegetables in your diet as possible. Also, include omega-3 fatty acid-rich food in your diet, such as Spinach, Walnuts, Tuna, etc.
- Wash your hands regularly, especially if you have been outdoors.
Other important Do’s and Don’ts
- Apart from the home remedies for eye irritation we discussed above, here are some more tips to protect your eyes from pollution and dust.
- Eye makeup and contact lens should be avoided in case of eye irritation or soreness.
- Stop smoking and save yourself from passive smoking.
- Avoid travelling in peak traffic hours. If it can’t be avoided, keep your car’s windows shut.
- Air Purifiers help with bringing down indoor pollution levels to a great extent. Invest in a good quality air purifier at home.
- Using lubricating eye drops is also recommended to minimize the effects of pollution on eyes. Make sure to consult your eye specialist for an eye drop prescription and other general advice in case of eye irritation, inflation, teary eyes, etc., caused by pollution.
In case you are looking forward to getting rid of your glasses or contacts and are afraid of exposure to pollutants post-procedure, we recommend booking a free appointment with Planet LASIK. Our expert eye specialists will help you with any doubts or questions.